Monday, August 10, 2009

Now For Something Different...

A week or so ago, I picked up a book on sewing at Half-Priced Books. Needless to say, this was right up my ally. I have since picked up a few other books and after leafing through them, I decided I was going to make a simple tote-style purse. There was a quick trip to Joann Fabrics and I found some fabric:





The fabric on the right is going to be the outside/shoulder strap and the one on the left will be the lining, perhaps a front pocket as well. While the pattern didn't call for interfacing, I bought some just to make the bag a little bit stronger.

I also dug the sewing machine out of the closet. I think I'll wait for my mother to explain it to me:





In addition to the fabric for the purse, I also picked up some more fabric and zippers to make little cosmetic bags/change purses/pencil holders/etc. Joann's sells these fabric samples that are marketed to quilters, but they were the perfect size (18" x 22") for my small projects. Plus, they were on sale for 96 cents, so I stocked up just a bit:







Mom's going to help me get started. After all, she did sew her own wedding dress.

1 comment:

  1. I guess mother should look for the instructions for said sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete