Monday, July 20, 2009

Decorative Flowers

Today, my mother and I made a trip to Half-Price Books to sell some books so we could make room for some more. They only gave me eighteen dollars, but that is not the point of this story. The point of this story is that the store had a MASSIVE amount of books for homemade projects. Not only was there a nice selection of knitting/crocheting books, but there were also ones on sewing, needle point, wood craft, quilting, and every thing in between. If you are the hands on type or looking to start, you should check it out, especially since the prices were nearing 75% off the suggested retail price. You really can't beat that. Well, you can beat that by not buying the book to begin with, but where is the fun in that? No where.

Since my mother is the best mother in the world, she bought me three knitting/crocheting books (and one about mental illness in royalty/emperors/other ruling officials, which is also very informative) and in the knitting book was a pattern for knitted flowers. At this point, I should tell you I love flowers. There are flowers on my bed spread. There are flowers on my purse. I even own several pieces of flower jewelery, so needless to say this was a great little find. And the pattern was simple! So once we returned home from dinner, I grabbed some needles/left over yarn and went to work.



Not the greatest choice of yarn color, but I feel it is a very good result for a first attempt considering I am rubbish at reading directions. I used size 10 needles and I believe the yarn is... alpaca? It was bought years ago, so I can't be sure on that one, but it is very soft. I thought perhaps a button in the middle to add a nice accent. Tomorrow, I think I will attempt to make it on smaller needles and in a color that flowers naturally occur, but I am still proud of my little attempt.

2 comments:

  1. I read your Mum's blog. Thought I'd stop in and check out your blog. I'm 60 miles North of Pittsburgh...in New Wilmington. Am a Vegetarian...as I assume you are from your first post. Like indy movies, brit TV and reading as well.

    I'll be stoppin' back. Have fun blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the daughter graduates in June 2010 she will be burying things on her own. Then the mother will cut down her hours and retire....

    ReplyDelete